Thursday, November 6, 2014

Winner "One Horrible Halloween" by Jenna McDonald

 
It all started on what seemed to be a normal Halloween evening. My best friend Lucy and I were jumping over puddles in our Halloween costumes. It was a fairly sunny day, but earlier there had been a torrential downpour. We were both dressed as witches, and had two pillowcases each just ready to be filled to the top with candy.

We decided that we would start on Dead End Drive, because the street had a scary Halloween name. Lucy and I were both anxious to get candy as we went up the steps of the first house and knocked on the door. The lady that answered didn’t give us candy! She gave us some sort of trick advice….”don’t go to house number 17” she said in a warning tone. Thinking she was joking, we hurried to the next house. At every house we went to it was the same thing! “Don’t go to house number 17”’ they all told us Lucy and I thought that it was some sort of elaborate Halloween prank.

We arrived at house number 17, and I stood on the sidewalk as Lucy started up the driveway. “Come on,” Lucy Said. You don’t really believe all of that nonsense, do you? They’re just trying to scare us.” Then she knocked on the door. “Lucy!” I hollered as she disappeared into the run-down house. I ran up the driveway, and furiously pounded on the door. An old lady who looked different from anyone I’ve ever seen before opened the door. Her hair was a light grey and pulled back into a pony tail that fell almost to her ankles. Her left eye was almost completely closed shut, her teeth were yellow and black and she was hunched over so much that I had to bend down to look at her.

“Come in my dear, and get some candy” she said in a screechy voice. “I’m sorry but I can’” I said. “Look at the time! I was supposed to be home ten minutes ago. Can you please tell my friend to come out? We have to leave or our parents will worry.” “Nonsense,” the old lady said and grabbed me by the wrist. She had a surprisingly strong grip, and pulled me into her kitchen. She picked up a strange looking candy and shoved it in my mouth. It was very slimy, and tasted like pepper. I started to choke and gag on it, and then I passed out.

 

 

When I woke up, the old lady was gone. I tried to open the door but it was locked. I heard the old lady coming towards the kitchen, so I ran down the hallway and into another room. The room was lit by one candle, and when my eyes adjusted to the dim light all I saw were dead bodies everywhere! These people had died in the most horrible ways. One person had no head another no limbs, another had been hanged. There had been others that had been tied up and left to starve. I tried to scream, but no sound came out.

I heard footsteps coming down the hall, so I lay down and pretended to be dead. The door creaked open, and the old lady came in. She walked around for a minute, and then left. I got up and opened the door a crack. The coast was clear, so I started running. “I have to find Lucy and get out of here” was all I could think. I made my way to the back door, and almost tripped over Lucy. “Lucy”, I cried. “We have to get out of here.” Then I realized that Lucy’s arms had been cut off and she was dead. Screaming, I opened the back door and ran like my feet were on fire. I ran all the way home, and called my parents who were on their way to a Halloween party. My Mom answered, and I told her about Lucy, but she didn’t believe me. They thought it was a Halloween prank. “Please come home Mom” I begged. “Don’t be silly sweetheart” Mom said. “We’re only going to be two streets away and we won’t be late.” “Where exactly are you going?” I asked fearfully. “Number 17 Dead End Drive,” Mom replied. “We’re here now, and somebody is dressed up in the best old lady costume I have ever seen. She has light grey hair pulled back in a ponytail that reaches almost to her ankles…..”

No comments:

Post a Comment