Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Awake by Matthew Raske finalist


 
Bang.


 I wake up suddenly to a sudden loud thud from down the hall. It sounds like it came from my parent’s bedroom.  I glance at the clock. It is 3:06am. Perhaps it is my father rolling out of bed in his sleep again, or my mother stubbing her toe on the foot of the bed as she always does on her way to the kitchen for her traditional midnight snack. Certainly this thud is nothing out of the ordinary. Or is it?

 When my father rolls out of bed, I always hear him stand to his feet on the old creaky floorboards and climb back in bed. When my mother stubs her toe, there is always the subsequent muffled muttering of curse words as her footsteps creak past my bedroom on her way to the kitchen- yet, I hear none of these familiar sounds. I hear nothing but an eerie silence.
 

Perhaps a book had fallen off my father’s shelf –but no, a book would not shake the floor the way this thud had. Perhaps the legs of my mother’s rickety antique vanity had finally given way and crumbled to the floor as we always joked they would –but no, it would have woken mother, and mother can leave no mess untouched no matter the hour of day. 

 
Perhaps I’m overthinking it. Yes, I am overthinking it. It was just a thud- an ordinary thud - no cause for alarm. I can investigate in the morning but for now I need sleep. I’ll just close my eyes and drift off…

 Suddenly I hear what sounds like a smothered gasp for air, piercing the silence, and then:

 Bang.

  A second thud much like the first, followed by the same eerie silence. I am wide-awake and very uneasy now.  What could be the cause of this? I am about to spring from my bed and investigate when I hear a creaking in the hall between my parent’s room and my own. It is not like the familiar creaking of a person’s footsteps, but rather sounds like something heavy being dragged slowly down the corridor.

 I am unable to move now. I am frozen in fear. Whatever is being dragged in the hall is getting closer and closer to my opened bedroom door. The creaking is getting louder and louder, my heart is pounding faster and faster. Suddenly against the dark of night I see a silhouette of a man dragging two lifeless bodies down the hall leaving a distinct trail of inky black liquid in their wake against the lightly colored vintage maple floorboards. Suddenly he stops in front of my bedroom and drops the bodies-The creaking ceases.

 My heart is beating like a drum – so rapidly that it feels like it is about to explode. This cannot be real. This must be a dream. Those cannot be my parents. I am lying as still as the lifeless bodies in the hallway hoping not to be noticed by the man. I could not move even if I wanted to. I am frozen in fear. Utterly petrified.

To my horror, the man reaches down in dips his fingers in the blood coating the maple floorboards and begins to write a message on the wall. The inky blackness of the night veils his words from my vision. I cannot decipher the words on the wall. The man finishes scrawling his script and turns around once more to face me. The hairs on my neck are standing erect and Goosebumps ripple through my body.

 
The floor begins to creak as he slowly tiptoes into my bedroom and crawls under my bed and lies down on the floor directly beneath me. He must be waiting for me to awaken. But I am already lying awake and terrified beyond comprehension. I want to scream, but he’ll hear me. I want to run, but he’ll catch me. I am paralyzed by petrification.

 
I have been lying here for over an hour now.  I can hear him breathing heavily directly beneath me. The smell of warm blood on the cold musty floor fills the room. The scent of death is overpowering.  My vision is slowly getting used to the darkness. I can almost interpret the bloody message on the wall.

 I gasp as I read the words 

“I know you’re awake”

 Suddenly, something shifts beneath me.

No comments:

Post a Comment